Friday 2 June 2017

Star Wars: BT-1 and 0-0-0

Marvel publishes a Darth Vader comic, and on the whole it's not too bad. Set between Episodes IV and V, Vader feels the Emperor's displeasure and is trying to work out who the pilot was who evaded him and took out the Death Star. He enlists some allies, in the form of unimaginative Artoo/ Threepio knockoffs, BT-1 and 0-0-0.
BT-1 and 0-0-0

BT-1 (Beetee) is an blastomech- an astromech with a hidden arsenal. He loves destruction and often has to be restrained from excess. Very easy to paint.

0-0-0 (Triple Zero) is a protocol droid with Threepio's mannerisms and a penchant for torture and sadism. I used blue and black washes for an oily gunmetal sheen. The eyes were a struggle.



Despite being a lazy twist on Artoo and Threepio, BT-1 and 0-0-0 do have character and often steal the scene. I have seen gloss black interpretations of them, but I see them as metallic.
Art by FFG
As a bonus, here's a jawa! He really came to life when I painted the eyes.

16 comments:

  1. Brilliant, on so many levels! A murderous 3-P0, well that made me chuckle this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice paintjobs...your basing really compliments them all well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- it's a very simple job to work for a variety of surfaces.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant mate! Reminded me of this... :-)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rather like your paint jobs on these.

    Triple 0 is certainly a favorite of mine, and with Dr. Aphra now staring in her own comic, he should see more action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised Vader hasn't killed her already- I'd like a figure of her to paint up.

      Delete
    2. He hasn't killed her because she's Mary Sue.

      Really nice work, I especially like 000's beady little murder eyes.

      Delete
    3. Ouch. I think you're right.

      Delete
    4. Your dark metallics really capture the droids' sense of menace. Nicely done, Barks. And I agree with Allison -- I like the Darth Vader comics, but Aphra is a Mary Sue. I have trouble imagining that Vader would tolerate such lip from anyone.

      Delete
    5. I shall look upon her with new eyes.

      Delete
  5. That's really good sir, and the eyes of jawa are most impressive!

    ReplyDelete